It is a bit surreal to find yourself being applauded for bringing beer to an event. Don’t get me wrong, I kinda liked it, but it was a bit….weird.
What did I do to deserve the applause? I brought Heady Topper (aka Beer Unobtainium) and Hill Farmstead Abner to Beer Club.
It was a great event. I stand by my initial review of Heady Topper (meh. is it supposed to make my tongue go numb?), and preferred the more complex and slightly softer Abner by Hill Farmstead. A quick informal poll showed that about 30% of the club agreed with me.
As well as the two big names, we also had (links to ratebeer.com reviews):
- Ommegang Glimmerglass, quite a nice seasonal saison. I have to admit to being more than a little partial to this style.
- Stone Corral Latigo, a Scotch ale with a decent smoke flavour from the peat malt.
- Crop Bistro Dunkel Lager – the overall verdict was, decent but nothing special.
- Lost Nation Lamoille Bretta, a saison refermented with brettanomyces, with delicious results.
- Maine Brewing Company Peeper Ale, a nicely balanced ale that I remember as being clean and lovely.
- Allagash Curieux, my big fave of the night, a bourbon barrel aged tripel. Vanilla, oak, bourbon, some great caramel malt notes playing nicely with dark fruit esters.